Saturday, May 26, 2007

Death in...

Death in Zanzibar, M. M. Kaye - Finished 03.20.07
Death in Kashmir, M. M. Kaye - Finished 04.22.07.
Death in Berlin, M. M. Kaye - Finished 04.25.07
Death in Kenya, M. M. Kaye - Finished 04.26.07
Death in Cypress, M. M. Kaye - Finished 04.27.07
Death in the Andamans, M. M. Kaye - Finished 05.05.07


I recently rediscovered this delightful series and was able to obtain most of them from the local library system, although I've still waiting for someone to return 'Death in the Andamans' so that I can read it. I originally read several of these books when I was in my teens, and liked them quite well, but had completely forgotten about the until I stumbled onto 'Death in Kashmir' at the library.
The books are short and fairly formulaic (young heroine travels to some exotic local, meets horrid chauvinist male whom she hates on site, becomes involved is multiple murders, tries to puzzle her way through the mystery, is attacked by the murderer for getting to close, and is saved by big strong chauvinst male who she now realizes is madly in love with her and that she is madly in love with him), but due to some combination of her writing style & the story settings, the end result is a delightful trip. There's a sense of nostalgia that permeates the stories and settings, as they all take place is locales where the way of life has drastically changed in the years since the author visited and lived in them.
The entire series gets 5 stars from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment