Monday, February 27, 2012

Day Two of Gail Carriger and The Parasol Protectorate Week: Teaser Tuesday!

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just:
* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author, too, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can add the book to their To Be Read (TBR) Lists if they like your teasers!

----------

Welcome to Day Two of "Gail Carriger and The Parasol Protectorate Week!"  Today is also Teaser Tuesday, and so, due to our theme this week, we have a Teaser from each of The Parasol Protectorate books so far!
(Also, I'm cheating - each Teaser is way more than two sentences - but I'm sure you'll survive!)


The Teasers:

 "My dearest girl,' said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, 'such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?'
Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. 'My goodies,' she warned.
'Humans,' chuckled the vampire, 'so possessive."
 -Soulless, The Parasol Protectorate: Book the First, by Gail Carriger


"They landed just before sunset on a patch of green near the Glasgow train station.  The dirigible came to rest as lightly as a butterfly on an egg, if the butterfly were to stumble a bit and list heavily to one side and the egg to take take on the peculiar characteristics of Scotland in winter: more soggy and more gray than one would think possible."
-Changeless, The Parasol Protectorate: Book the Second, by Gail Carriger


"Alexia had also given this due consideration over her tea and toast.  If she had to leave, she was going in pursuit of information.  If she had to flee, she might as well flee toward the possibility of proving her innocence. Only one country knew anything substantial about preternaturals. "I hear that Italy is lovely this time of year."
"Italy?"
"The hotbed of anti-supernatural sentiment," spat Professor Lyall.
"The cesspit of religious fanaticism," added Tunstell.
"The Templars." That last was from Floote, and he whispered it.
"I think it's a perfectly topping idea," said Alexia, expressionless."
-Blameless, The Parasol Protectorate: Book the Third, by Gail Carriger


"Motioning Ivy to stand, Alexia handed her the handle and said, "Spin the parasol three times and repeat after me: I shield in the name of fashion.  I accessorize for one and all.  Pursuit of truth is my passion.  This I vow by the great parasol."
Ivy did as she was told, face serious and concentrated.
"Now pick the parasol up and raise it, open, to the ceiling.  Yes, just like that."
"Is that all?  Shouldn't the vow be sealed in blood or something like?"
"Oh, do you think?"
Ivy nodded enthusiastically.  Alexia shrugged. "If you insist." She took back her parasol, snapped it closed, and twisted the handle.  Two wickedly sharp spikes projected out of the tip, one of silver, the other of wood.  Ivy inhaled in appreciation."
Heartless, The Parasol Protectorate: Book the Fourth, by Gail Carriger

What's your Tease?

---------------

 Thanks for joining me for Day Two of "Gail Carriger and The Parasol Protectorate Week!"  Stop back by tomorrow on Day Three for a brief introduction/recap of "Blameless" and "Heartless."  Then on Thursday - Day Four - I'll have a very special surprise for you that you absolutely will not want to miss!  See you then!!

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh great teasers! I've been wanting to read this series but haven't gotten to it yet. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the fifth and final book is released, this is a perfect time to start!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome teasers. I haven't heard of these books. Now I've got to check them out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series is by far one of my most fave steampunk series. It was my first one and I just fell in love with it! Alexia is a very witty character! What made me a little bonkers was the fact that she is strong female heroine of her time and yet she was against the women's suffrage movement, it was just mind boggling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very interesting point, Italia!

    This is one of my favorite series also, but I think these are the only books I've read that can be called steampunk, and now that I've dipped my toes in the steam, I'm interested to try some more.

    ReplyDelete