Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sci-Fi & Tears

Today over on Tor.com, Jo Walton has written a very interesting article about Classic Science Fiction Tearjerkers - authors who may or may not have deliberately tried to cause their readers to feel strong emotions through their writing - and she poses the question of whether or not it is a rare occurrence, or if there are loads of attempts but few that succeed.

In her article she is mainly referring to "Classic" Sci-Fi authors - Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, etc - but in reading through the comments, a lot of people were also referring to more recent authors and novels, which I found interesting.

Anyone who knows me knows that I cry at the drop of a hat.  I've been known to tear up during long distance telephone commercials, (thank goodness they don't have those much anymore), and also during every frakkin' episode of Grey's Anatomy I've ever watched (Curse you, ABC!  Curse you!!)  I've cried while reading many other genres of books - Fantasy novels, Biographies, the occasional Thriller/Mystery - But the only time I remember tearing up during a Sci-Fi novel is when I read the third installment of The Star of the Gaurdians: King's Sacrifice.

The series is really more of a Space Opera than hard Sci-Fi, but the first time I read King's Sacrifice, I sobbed for an hour after finishing the final piece of Lord Sagan and Lady Maigrey's saga.  I've re-read the series several times since then, and while the scene doesn't affect me nearly as strongly now as it did then, I'd be lying if I said that my vision doesn't get a tad blurry when I reach that portion of the story.

Have you ever been brought to tears by a Sci-Fi novel?  It's not generally a genre that encourages sadness or tears, so I'm curious if any of you are willing to admit to crying (or even just a minor blurred vision!) during a Science Fiction story.  Anyone??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment