Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What I've Been Reading: The Nessantico Cycle

"So," you ask, "What have you been reading?"

One of my favorite questions!  I'm so glad you asked.  Needless to say, I didn't stop reading just because life took me away from this blog.  I read plenty, probably too much - if such a thing exists.  This recurring segment will help to highlight some of the books and series that I discovered during the last several years.

The Nessantico Cycle, by S.L.Farrell.
A Magic of Twilight, 06.18.08 * * * * *
A Magic of Nightfall, 04.10.09 * * * *
A Magic of Dawn, 05.06.10 * * * *


This is an amazing fantasy series about the rise and fall of a glorious city in a glorious nation, the capital of a vast empire, and the inhabitants and their varying viewpoints and perceptions of a collection of events occurring over more than 50 years.  It's a saga about political intrigue, racism, royal assassinations, civil war and international conflict, religious tolerance & diversity vs. religious suppression, and most of all, it shows how viewpoints and perceptions regarding specific events can change from person to person, group to group, and country to country. 
The author has created a fully realized world, complete with histories, mythologies, religions & geography.  The characters are, for the most part, amazingly human, each with their own flaws and baggage, nobility, bravery and hate, love and cowardice.
The first book, A Magic of Twilight, was my favorite, thus earning it 5 stars while the second and third each get 4 stars.  A thoroughly enjoyable series overall.

Tell me what you think - Have you read the series or any part of it?  If not, does it sounds interesting?  Leave a comment and let me know!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment