Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Movie Review - Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror (2012) * * *
Director: Tarsem Singh
Starring: Julia Roberts, Nathan Lane, Armie Hammer, Lily Collins, Sean Bean

From IMDB:
"An evil queen steals control of a kingdom and an exiled princess enlists the help of seven resourceful rebels to win back her birthright."

My Thoughts:
Bob & I have both been really looking forward to seeing this movie, partly because we love Julia Roberts, but also because the movie looked rather stunningly gorgeous from the previews.  Unfortunately I left the theater slightly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, because the movie really is gorgeous - after all, it's directed by Tarsem Singh - and many of the scenes are stunningly beautiful.  I think the part that bothered me was that the movie somehow ended up being "campier" than I expected.  It was definitely funny, and there are some great lines, but every once in a while it felt like they just took the joke maybe one step too far.

--Tiny Spoiler Alert --

In this version of the Snow White tale, Snow never bites the apple, which is great!  Even though Snow is young she quickly learns to stand up for herself and not depend on anyone else to protect her, which I think is a great message.  And when she dares the hag to eat the apple instead, it was a pretty awesome moment.  But at the same time, if Snow White doesn't eat the apple and/or fall into a coma/death, then we don't get the fantastic moment of the magical True Love's kiss to wake her up.  It may be a cliche, but it's there for a reason - it works and people like it.  And without the kiss, the story just felt, I dunno, a little flat I guess.

Anyway, Julia Roberts totally shines as the evil stepmother queen, and completely steals the scene every time she appears on-screen.  I actually found myself rooting for her a little bit, and I'm not really sure that's what the writers intended.  Nonetheless she rocked the film and I recommend seeing "Mirror Mirror" purely for the fun and camp and Julia Roberts.  Bob thought it was cute and charming in it's own way, and I give it three stars.

What I'm looking forward to next:
Titanic 3D
Lockout
The Raven
Marvel's The Avengers
Dark Shadows
Battleship (maybe???)
Men In Black 3
Snow White and the Huntsman (SOOOOO Excited!)
Prometheus

Have you seen Mirror Mirror yet?  What did you think?  Also, what upcoming movies are YOU looking forward to?  Leave a comment and let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment