Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Movie Review - Big Miracle

Big Miracle (2012) * * * *
Director: Ken Kwapis
Stars: Drew Barrymore, John Krasinski,  and Ted Danson

From IMDB:
"In small town Alaska, a news reporter recruits his ex-girlfriend - a Greenpeace volunteer - on a campaign to save a family of gray whales trapped by rapidly forming ice in the Arctic Circle."

My Thoughts:
Every once in awhile I like to give Bob a chance to pick what movie we're going to see - since I drag him to so many Sci-Fi and Fantasy films, it only seems fair to let him pick something else now and then.  So when the trailers for Big Miracle started showing up I figured this was going to be one that he would want to see, as it contains two of his favorite things - he loves movies that are "based" on or "inspired by" true stories, and also animals.

So while I wasn't "dying" to see Big Miracle, I figured it looked sorta fun and I love Drew Barrymore, so what the hell? Why not?

Turns out that what I thought would be a slightly boring, silly movie actually ended up be pretty darn good!  It's cute and funny and heartbreaking in turn, as the lone reporter who would rather be anywhere BUT stuck in Alaska suddenly finds himself at the center of both national and international attention.  John Krasinski turns in a decent performance in what I believe is the first role that I've ever liked him in, but Drew Barrymore is the true shining star in this film.  The scene where she dons scuba gear and drops below the ice to have a look at the whale family was amazing, and stunningly gorgeous.

The ending of the film is satisfyingly good, and the ending credits are loads of fun as they show pictures and news clips from when the story actually took place.  I don't remember any of the media frenzy at the time ( I think I was too young to really pay attention to the news yet) but Bob totally remembers seeing the story on the news back in the day.  So, all in all, it was a good movie, with a good ending, and totally worthy of four stars.

Oh yeah, and Bob loved it, of course!

Did you see Big Miracle?  What did you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment